Tuesday 14 December 2010

Oh, I found a good'n!

You know those books that once started can't be put down?  Yup, I am in the grip and pleasantly obsessed!

After reading a few disappointing novels recently I came across 'Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill'.  It's the first of (so far) 4 books in the series.  I haven't finished it yet but the dialogue is laugh out loud in places (so not cool on a London Bus "no I'm not a freak, I just have a sense of humour") and I love the generous smattering of lusty 'men of interest' so far.  Anyhow, what's it awl about, I hear you say?? I'm talk'n bout Fantasy; set in present day Chicago where Vampires have recently 'come out'.  Grad Student 'Merit' has a pretty shit night, firstly she gets attacked by a bloodsucker then another one turns her into one to save her life.  Thankfully he's, like, well HOT...and the story goes from there with some death threats, new powers to explore and a whole mess of Vamp Politics thrown in for good measure.

I like the writing style of this book, the dialogue is sharp witted and snappy but the language is not dumbed down to accommodate that.  It's sexy without being slutty.  Not that I'm in any way opposed to slutty.  I have high hopes Merit will loose all her morals and shag every gorgeous man she meets to near unconsciousness.....But, some books don't need that; they get by on tit bits of tease, great characters a good story and great writing.  One of these days I'll get around to formulating a 'rating system', but for now I'll just issue a warning - careful, this one could make you miss your tube stop, walk out into traffic...and ignore your spouse all evening...on your anniversary.

Speaking of which, a little side story.  Whilst teasing my husband the other night...well actually I might have been threatening to buy him pale foundation in the hope that he'd starve himself for a month (or two) then turn up at our bedroom door with his shirt unbuttoned to his waist ...looking all pale and glowering with passion and a stray drop of blood (or strawberry jam) dripping from the corner of his mouth.  Alright I'll admit, I had just been watching the 3rd Twilight movie with a few girlfriends ...and some wine had been consumed.  Anyhow, he had the cheek to say that he was also going to start up a Blog too...just to share with the world all the weird shit that I come out with! I beat him to it with that tale!  But come on - who wouldn't want their very own Edward Cullen for a night ..or three. Him Niiiice, I liiike.

No comments:

Post a Comment