Friday 10 December 2010

From Book Club to Trash-Book Club

The first rule of Trash Book Club is there are no rules....read what you like, feel no shame.  It's a club of one so pretty exclusive at this stage - thinking of expanding but would anyone interested?

I was in a book club once, had to quit - not enough smut in the reading list, made it more chore than pleasure.  Also, what's wrong with a happy ending? The books we were reading just bloody depressed me.  Take George Orwell's 1984; it's such a stark picture of totalitarianism, I keep hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel but came out the other end of that book with my optimism scared and an even thicker layer of cynicism under my skin. Obviously a great book to have such an effect but I preferred Margaret Atwood's the Handmaids Tale, another take on the Totalitarian theme While this is undoubtedly still a grim depiction of a world gone wrong, there is hope and for me that is the key. There is also tension that winds your stomach in knots but ultimately there is release.  If we allow it to get to us there is enough to depress in every day life; I choose escapism! I choose happy endings!  I choose Trashy Novels!

Currently reading Harem Girl by Mariyah Saalih. Very briefly, it's about a bored housewife who fancy's a bit of adventure but get's shafted and sold to a Harem as a sex slave.  It's alright; perhaps not quite what I'm in the mood for or maybe it's just that I can't really get my head around women as sex slaves.  It's written in such a way that you can see how the women view their situation as good fortune when considering the times they lived in and the insight into the traditions and 'Standard Operating Procedures' within the Harem are interesting.  But honestly - one man  with that many beautiful woman bowing, scrapping and degrading themselves to get in his good books..??...It does not compute; though I guess I'm coming at this from modern day alpha female perspective and not giving it a chance. One bonus is some of the artwork scattered throughout the book, I didn't expect it but it's cool.

Right, that's about as close as I get to 'high brow'.  Have just been poking around on t'internet for my next book; it's all down hill from here...in the best possible way!

2 comments:

  1. Though I could definitely do with reading about a woman's harem. Or is it 'stable'. Damnit, I'm trying!

    I have a fondness for short stories. One of the best collections I had for a while was this: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Moon-Erotic-Reader-III/dp/1562013157

    Otherwise I'm taking an awful long time to read Cat Scratch Fever. Which is really quite lame, and doesn't quite do it for me (literarily, or otherwise, I'm afraid).

    Can I join your club though? I mean, it's winter. There's no better way to get that flush into the cheeks than reading scandalous materials at work (I hate 'brisk walks'). And we all know how that flush is so attractive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A comment!?! I'm so excited I may have pee'd my pants, just a little.

    Cat, the very first member (other than myself) of Trash Book Club. You will go down in history...and I'm not talking about blow jobs.

    Blue Moon Erotic...bla de bla is next on my reading list, thanks for the tip Kitty Cat!

    ReplyDelete