Thursday 23 December 2010

Not one for the bedside table but clean enough to read on public transport

There are all sorts of people out there, Obsessives..Compulsive's...Hoarder's...Wasters..Wrecker's...you get the picture.  I most definitely am an 'Indulgent'.  I'll never be super skinny, because food is one of the great sensory pleasures in life, along with great wine, luxury holidays, general pampering and ...sex, of course.  I love to indulge in all sorts of things and since I no longer go clubbing and fritter away the days in a sensory twisted haze, I like to loose myself in a good Sci Fi series.  Is that sad? Like I care!

Anyhoo, that's a long winded way of getting to my point which is the Chicago Land Vampire Series, You can read proper reviews with background and facts for all 3 books through the Chicago land link; here I'll give you my overall impression.

I completely fell into Chloe Neil's gorgeous Vampire filled College/Sorority like world, and pretty much ignored the rest of my life for 4 days.  Not exactly sure which market these books are aimed at, they walk the line between Teen and Adult Romance/Fantasy. I would love to have had a bit more 'Hot n Steamy' and a few less morals but I really loved all the characters and the 3 books weave a decent tale.  I'd call it a 'light weight, romp of a read' complete with heart throbs, violence, lust, magic, Werewolves, Vampires, great friends and overwhelming odds.  Kinda standard stuff for this genre but it's done well. I loved the cheekily written banter and great one liners.  The kind that (a) you wish you were quick enough to think up when 'put on the spot' and (b) you had the balls to say.

A mild annoyance, which happens with most Series was the catch up segments that remind you what went on in the previous book.  Many writers do this with little imagination, basically parroting what they wrote last time.  Chloe was no different but at least her segments were brief and I didn't feel like I had to skim through a quarter of the book which sometimes happens.

So, in summery:  it's Chick Lit but not annoyingly so, your imagination will be engaged but don't expect to get your nether juices flowing.  Not one for the bedside table but clean enough to read on public transport.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment